It is real. It is here. Maskne is a skin condition we are all subject to in our daily lives.
Maskne is a different form of acne than what we commonly think of as clogged pores and breakouts, blackheads, whiteheads, cysts, and nodules. Maskne is classified as “acne mechanica” which occurs with occlusion or friction against the skin. Over time, this continued friction may lead to inflammation that can block pores and lead to breakouts, usually in the area that a mask covers the face. Prior to the pandemic, acne mechanica was often seen on athletes who wear helmets or other gear during their sport.
If you happen to have sensitive skin and are prone to other skin sensitivities, such as rosacea or dermatitis, you may have noticed an increase in symptoms and inflammation on the skin under the mask area. Think of that area under the mask like a petri dish, where moisture, sweat, and other debris accumulate and trap bacteria. The protective barrier of the skin may be broken down and become compromised due to the friction of a daily mask.
So here is the good news. You don’t have to accept this skin condition as something you just have to live with. You do have to commit to caring for your skin in a new way to minimize the impact of mask-wearing.
Here are 12 tips to keep your skin clear and calm during this time. Keep wearing your mask and incorporate these tips into your daily routine to keep your skin at its best.
- Use a disposable mask or wash your mask every single day. No double wearing of the mask if you want to protect your skin.
- Make sure the mask you’re wearing feels soft against your skin. There are so many options when it comes to masks and a soft mask causes much less friction against the skin. The disposable surgical masks are soft and offer great protection. Consider having a box of these on hand at all times.
- Limit the use of skin actives. Skin actives are considered products that stimulate the skin for a renewed appearance. The skin is already working harder than normal in its job of protecting you against toxins. Use actives sparingly or go with a lesser concentration to give your skin a break. As an example, if you’re using a strong Vitamin A product, consider a gentle version or switch to using it fewer times per week. You may need to give it up for the time being to help your barrier stay strong.
- Use a gentle cleanser both morning and evening. Don’t count on your cleanser to remove makeup and sunscreen, both of which are created to stay on the skin. Use a makeup remover, then proceed with NeoGenesis Cleanser to cleanse that skin in a gentle, pH-friendly manner.
- Use a serum formulated to heal and protect the skin after cleansing. NeoGenesis Recovery, Booster, or Skin Serum is an all-powerful yet soothing serums to help the skin recover and rejuvenate through morning and evening use.
- It has never been more important to protect the skin’s barrier. NeoGenesis Barrier Renewal Cream is a lightweight, unscented, and deeply hydrating product that works with the skin to restore and protect the barrier. Skin cannot be healthy without a healthy barrier. This is a must-have for radiant skin.
- The microbiome of the skin is a super important aspect of healthy skin. Our skin, like our gut, contains both good and harmful bacteria on the surface. When it is out of balance, a dysbiosis occurs and the harmful bacteria begin to take over, creating havoc on the skin. The best treatment for balancing your skin’s microbiome is to spray NeoGenesis MB-1 as the last step in your morning and evening routine, as well as every single time you remove your mask. Carry this spray with you and whenever you remove your mask, mist the skin with this refreshing spray to maintain the correct balance of bacteria on the skin.
- Use a gentle enzyme mask once a week to deep clean and exfoliate any buildup on the skin’s surface. NeoGenesis Enzyme Crème Mask is good for all skin types and requires 5 to 7 minutes, applied after cleansing, to give your skin back its glow.
- Minimize makeup. Play up your eyes and give the foundation a break when you’re in a mask. A tinted sunscreen can give a lovely look to the skin in place of foundation.
- Never go to bed without cleansing your skin and applying your serum and moisturizer. It has never been more important than now to cleanse away the day and give your skin the nutrients it needs as it repairs itself during sleep.
- Stay hydrated and eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. Stay away from sugary and processed foods. Your skin and your mental health and well-being will thank you.
- Reduce stress. Not easy, right? Even 1 minute of deep breathing can reset your stress levels. Become aware of stress increasing and take a few minutes to stretch, have some water, and breathe deeply. Renew yourself throughout the day.
Following these tips will help to mitigate long-term damage to the skin. NeoGenesis products contain the patented S²RM® technology and support the skin by feeding it all the nutrients it needs on a cellular level to remain strong and healthy.
You’ve got this and NeoGenesis is here with everything you need to help your beautiful skin thrive.